Thursday 3 March 2011

Breaking The Mould: Mould Making and Resin Casting (Part I: Making the Mould)

So over the past couple of months I've gotten really interested in mould making and resin casting, but actually had no idea of how to go about it. I say had as if I actually know what I'm doing when, to tell the truth, I'm still not sure.
Anyway, it was recently my birthday, and after listening to a fair few podcasts, searching through forums, and watching some videos, I decided where I would "invest" some of the money I was given.

I decided to make a sprue up of some Space Marine weapons, which means going straight to making a two part mould. Yes it would have been easier for me to make some bases, and get a feel for how to use everything, but i thought I might as well go in head first.


Step I:

After knocking up a mould box out of Lego, I built up inside it with plasticine, then arranged the items I wanted to cast. Starting with a channel running from the top of the box to the bottom, then back up through the weapons, and out of the top. After mixing the first part of my mould rubber, I poured it in from the corner, letting it spread over the sprue, and then leaving it to cure.

The next day I checked it, and was very pleased to see it had all gone well. Now for the tricky bit.


Step II:

After rebuilding the box around the first part of the mold, I applied a release agent to all of the rubber. If I hadn't have done this, everything would surely come out in one giant block of rubber.
I then mixed up, and poured in the next load of rubber to create the second part of my mould, and left it to cure...

...and that's it. That is as far as I've gotten. Even now, I don't know whether or not it has turned out well, or if it is now one big block of rubber.

Well, there is only one way to find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment